Whom to see for nutrition advice?

Within the specialist field of nutrition there are three main groups of people who can help and advise professionally – dieticians, nutritionists and naturopaths. What is the difference between them, when and whom should you consult?

We take expert advice from these professionals discussing how you can best look after your bones, joints, muscles and nerves and ways to keep inflammation and pain to a minimum.

Dietitians help promote good health through proper eating. They also supervise the preparation and service of food, develop modified diets, participate in research, and educate individuals and groups on good nutritional habits. In many countries only people who have specified educational credentials can call themselves “dietitians” – the title is legally protected. The term “nutritionist” is also widely used; however, the term nutritionist is not regulated as dietitian is. People may call themselves nutritionists without the educational and professional requirements of registered dietitians.

nutritionist is a health specialist who devotes professional activity to food and nutritional science, preventive nutrition, diseases related to nutrient deficiencies, and the use of nutrient manipulation to enhance the clinical response to human diseases. They can also advise people on dietary matters relating to health, well-being and optimal nutrition.

Naturopathy emphasizes the body’s intrinsic ability to heal and maintain itself. Naturopaths use natural remedies such as herbs and foods to promote the body’s natural ability to heal itself.

Ultimately, it is likely to be the person with whom you get on with and believe in and who understands and listens to you who will be your best help.