Top tips for a great night’s sleep
The quality of your sleep directly relates to the quality of your life, as any new parents will tell you! Beyond your investment in your mattress, it’s important to make an overall commitment to sleeping well to look after your general health.
While we realise that finding the time for a routine can be hard, it can have energy dividends in the long run. Here are some tips for maintaining a healthy sleep cycle and ensuring the best night’s rest:
Tips for a healthy night’s sleep
1. Maintain a regular bed and wake time schedule, including weekends.
2. Establish a relaxing bedtime routine, such as soaking in a warm bath and then reading or listening to soothing music.
3. Create a sleep-conducive environment that is dark, quiet, comfortable and cool.
4. Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillow.
5. Use the bedroom for what it was designed for and take all work materials, computers and televisions out of the sleeping environment.
6. Finish eating at least two to three hours before your regular bedtime.
7. Exercise regularly -it is ideal to complete your workout at least a few hours before bedtime.
8. Avoid alcohol, nicotine and caffeine (tea, coffee, soft drinks and chocolate) close to bedtime. These can both keep you awake or disrupt sleep later in the night.
Courtesy of the Better Sleep Council – more tips and bed solutions on their excellent site.